Railay Beach Thailand - Guide To Everything
09 Jan 15 | By Mani
About Railay Beach Thailand
Railay beach is considered to be all of the peninsula, which has four primary areas :
- Phra Nang (Pranang Cave Beach), a wafer-thin white sand beach, on the southern tip of the peninsula. This splendid beach, recently voted as one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world, is 20 minutes away from Ao Nang by long-tail boat and the price per person is 100 Baht (last updated on 1st April 2014). It has breathtaking ,stunning scenery and is an awesome swimming beach. You can watch the climbers climb right off the beach. You can also have a nice massage on the beach or order a barbecue for yourself right on the beach.
- Railay East, the mangrove side of the peninsula. Not a very good place for swimming or sunbathing however, there are plenty of restaurants and bars. Accommodations are also available at a decent price.
- Railay West, a great beach of white sand and shallow water, where most long-tail boats come from Ao Nang. The North of the beach is a stunner for swimming. The south part of the beach is quite good too, however, its rocky as well.
- Ton Sai, a harbor around the impasse from the west of Railay beach where mostly backpackers and rock climbers stay.
Popular places at Railay beach :
- Phra Nang Cave
- Phra Nang Shrine is at north end of Phra Nang Beach. This shrine is dedicated to the spirit of the drowned princess (Phra Nang) who gave the beach her name. Please make sure you respect the shrine as it is an important part of Thai culture.
- Lagoon & Viewpoint - It's quite hard to reach but it's definitely adventurous. The path to the lagoon is steep, stony, and exciting. Some people also carry climbing gear to reach the lagoon. Hand ropes are provided but it's not recommended if you are wearing sandals, fit-flops and you may also encounter some monkeys in the forest. It is recommended that you be careful with your belongings and don't be playful with the monkeys as they can snatch your belongings.